LDC 0.11.0: Release branch created, Windows/OS X issues

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Sat May 25 12:05:30 PDT 2013

On 24 May 2013, at 17:01, Kai Nacke wrote:
> The Linux version is rock solid and everybody is waiting for a
> release. The bug [4] is fixed now so a new user group could be
> attracted with MinGW build.

It is indeed, even though the std.algorithm now cause an internal
assertion in ld to be hit because of overly long symbol/section names.

MinGW is not really stable yet, it would only be included in the release
as a beta/preview version.

> In contrast the OS X version is broken with LLVM 3.2 and LLVM 3.3
> head. And I am not sure if OS X really counts as LLVM release blocker
> (e.g. any PPC bug is per definition no release blocker).

We've been getting quite a number of OS X bug reports in the past, so
people are definitely expecting it to work. Also, the last release.

> As summary I think we should release the 0.11.0 version. If the OS X
> regression gets really fixed then we can
> create a minor update in 2 or 3 weeks.

Yes, this is what I was thinking as well. Does the following sound like
a plan?

  - Release Beta 1 tomorrow, with only Linux x86/x86_64 officially
included. We might also want to provide packages for the other OSes
though.

  - Aim for pushing out the final release on June 1. If OS X TLS is
fixed until then, we'll release an official 0.11.0 OS X package based on
the release_33 branch; otherwise, we'll delay that.

  - Schedule a minor release (0.11.1) in two weeks, on June 7. This is
two days after the (tentative) LLVM 3.3 release date, so we should be
able to provide OS X packages there. The release would be branched off
the release-0.11.0 branch and only incorporate pure bug/regression
fixes.

David