Fixing the -march/-mcpu situation

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Thu Oct 3 15:39:41 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM, safety0ff <safety0ff.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Real confusion will come from one LLVM tool having a different convention
> then the other LLVM tools.

True, I agree. But the thing that makes the right interpretation of
this statement less obvious to me is that most people using LLVM are
probably just doing so through Clang or another LLVM-based compiler,
while the LLVM tools like llc, opt and so on are strictly compiler
developer oriented.

> Adjustment is required for going between GCC and LLVM tools everywhere else.

Again, not as far as Clang is concerned, and I'm not sure how people
who haven't messed around with the internals of an LLVM-based compiler
themselves will see that.

But I suppose the most reasonable choice is indeed to go with the LLVM
tool naming scheme (which we already do now), as we differ from other
compilers based on LLVM in that we also offer all the internal
options. So, (1) would indeed be the most consistent way of handling
things.

Now I just have to figure out what the reason for having the »you must
specify a target triple as well with -mtriple when using the -arch
option« was. Or just remove it, as it really doesn't seem to make a
lot of sense.

David