TLS for iOS - how to proceed

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Tue Apr 1 08:48:05 PDT 2014

Hi Dan,

Great work!

On 1 Apr 2014, at 17:31, Dan Olson wrote:
> What is best way to maintain and distribute the LLVM changes?

For question concerning LLVM development, I found that the best thing
usually is to just ask on the llvmdev mailing list or on IRC
(#llvm at irc.oftc.net). The devs are usually quick to suggest a solution.

If integration of the changes proves problematic (or simply until a
solution is worked out), we could also consider maintaining a patch or a
forked repo somewhere on GitHub for people to use when building LDC for
iOS. This is certainly not the best solution in the long run, though.

> The tlv runtime support is currently in the form of modified copies of
> Apple dyld open source.  How do we properly use this (licensing)?  Can
> it go in druntime or should it go elsewhere?  Should it be
> reimplemented?

I neither looked at the details of the Apple Open Source license, nor am
I a lawyer, but I wouldn't see too much of a problem with including the
code in the druntime repository, as long as we don't claim it's Boost
licensed.

However, since your work is potentially also useful for other projects
targeting iOS, maybe a small "stand-alone" library pulled in as a
submodule by the LDC runtime build system would be the better idea?

> Also, I'd like help making my LLVM changes better.  I didn't do things
> the proper way (had to cheat with a const_cast).

Did I miss a link to the changes?

David