LDC 0.14.0 alpha1 released! Please help test!

David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 3 16:37:43 PDT 2014

On 3 Aug 2014, at 17:36, Dicebot via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
> P.S. I have noticed that now libdruntime.a is not included into
> libphobos2.a and needs to be package too, is it intended or just
> unforeseen side effect of shared library support?

This is an intended change. Let me elaborate a bit:

The linking behavior was indeed changed while introducing shared library
support, as it is more or less the natural thing to do for shared
libraries (some programs might only depend on druntime, and there should
be only one copy of it. I could have left the way static libraries are
built unchanged, but that would have required more logic for setting up
the config files appropriately and so on. Additionally, we were actually
building the object files twice before, so the build system internals
for the static case needed a revision anyway.

In short, it probably doesn't make a lot of difference either way, but
the split version seems a bit nicer conceptually and simplifies the
build system a bit. If there is a good reason to revert to the previous
version, this could definitely be done (although I probably won't have
the time to do the changes until end of August).

This should definitely be mentioned in the release notes, though (the
library name also changed to phobos2-ldc instead of phobos-ldc so as to
avoid any transitioning problems).

Cheers,
David