iphone + LDC, a new ARM adventure

Dan Olson zans.is.for.cans at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 23:34:10 PST 2014

David Nadlinger <code at klickverbot.at> writes:

> The issue is most likely that ARM/iOS uses setjmp/longjmp-based
> exception handling, whereas all the other target platforms use
> DWARF-based EH (or a similar concept on Win64).
>
> I don't see any fundamental issue with using SLJL for D/LDC (besides
> performance and the other generic SLJL downsides), but you'd have to
> adapt druntime and also some parts of the relevant parts of the LDC
> glue code (e.g. to avoid the above error).

Thanks David for the reply.

Ah, I didn't connect SLJL with setjmp/longjmp. Good clue. Yes, it
appears arm-apple-darwin exceptions are setjmp based (confirmed by
compiling a c++ function with clang). Ok, I will dig in some more, see
where it leads me.

>> I have always wanted to continue this adventure, trying LDC. Apple is
>> all clang/LLVM now and seems to be pushing out some of their LLVM
>> updates.  So seems LDC is way to go!
>
> If you have the time and inclination to work on iOS support for ARM,
> it would be awesome if you could try to get things running. In any
> case, please do feel free to ask around for help with LDC development.
>
> Best,
> David

Yes, just a hobby, but would very much like to make D on ios. So far,
llvm looks easier to understand than gcc codebase, and toolchain builds
are much faster. Better for trial and error.