LDC build issues for PowerPC and kfreebsd-{i386,amd64} on Debian

Konstantinos Margaritis via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 15 12:01:18 PDT 2014

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:37:48 +0000
Kai Nacke via digitalmars-d-ldc <digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Is there a define which identifies kfreebsd? This could simply be
> added to the __FreeBSD__ branch.
>
> (With the host-independent implementation of real this will go
> away. But I still need to finish the implementation.)

Ok, at first sight seems the fix was rather easy, I created a simple
patch that enabled the build, note the __GLIBC__ added in #ifdef
__linux__. This is because kfreeBSD also uses glibc instead of
FreeBSD's libc. I attached this patch, however, that didn't enable ldc
to build working binaries because of lots of undefined pthread and
stdoutp references. Since kfreeBSD uses glibc, such definitions assumed
for FreeBSD are not valid for kFreeBSD (don't ask me why, I have no
idea why glibc was chosen instead of FreeBSD's libc).

So, I guess in most cases where "version( linux )" is used, an
equivalent "version ( glibc )" might be used that would cater for both
OSes. But I think that's too intrusive and I'm not even sure where
kfreebsd performs like glibc and where it's expected to perform like
normal FreeBSD. So I'm not going to perform this time consuming change
now. However, I'd be willing to ask some kfreebsd maintainer to do
that, if there is interest on behalf of you core LDC developers to
integrate such an intrusive patch. Otherwise, as I said before that,
I'm just going to list the ports as unsupported and be done with it -or
at least revisit it at a later date or wait for some porter to do that
effort.

Regards

Konstantinos