SPARC Solaris Support

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Tue Mar 25 11:23:14 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 25 March 2014 at 17:26:12 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
> I just installed OpenIndiana and started looking around. But
> everything is a bit outdated. (Some people would certainly
> prefer the term "stable" :-) )
> gcc 4.4, cmake 2.6, python 2.6 - you can't build LLVM 3.5 with
> this toolset.
> I'll try to bootstrap LLVM/clang 3.3. If this works then I can
> build LDC.

I had problems getting a gcc that would actually work properly
back in 2011, as the main gcc from their package source
repository wouldn't pack booleans right and cause seg faults.  I
had to recompile one of the gcc versions with a specific flag to
get it working.  I tried using clang back then but it was a mess,
because it didn't seem to have all the same built-in globals and
some other incompatibilities.  Hopefully that's been fixed since,
but your best bet may be just to compile llvm with gcc.

> The board runs fine. It works with  Android and Linux. I have
> it running with Gentoo linux. I choosed this board because of
> the RAM. You need at least 1GB RAM to built LLVM... LLVM has
> some support for the Qualcomm chip.
I mentioned it because I heard Qualcomm is not good with
releasing drivers.  In a similar way, that was one annoying
aspect about the Pandaboard ES: you had to use a special ubuntu
install with a bunch of binary blobs from TI to get proper GPU
and hardware-accelerated video support, and even then 1080p video
playback seemed to be dropping frames.

I actually bought it in early 2012 because I wanted to try
running an ARM desktop.  But Android was unusable as a desktop
and I've never liked ubuntu, plus the video issues, so it didn't
work out.  I'd probably try it with Arch Linux Arm or FreeBSD
these days, hopefully the hardware support for both has gotten
better since then.