Windows development: MinGW64 or MSVC ?

Benjamin Thaut via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 24 04:17:20 PST 2015

I personally think that putting time into the MSVC target would
be better invested. Using the MSVC toolchain you have a much
better tooling, especially debugging and profiling. There are a
lot of tools which expect you to put out pdb debugging
information and mingw does not do that. Also personally I don't
know anyone who uses mingw on windows. Usually mingw is only used
if some open source project also wants to support windows but has
no "real" Windows developers. Everyone I know who makes money
with software development on windows uses Visual Studio and MSVC.