LDC 0.16.0 alpha4 is out! We need your feedback!

Marco Leise via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 21 18:59:27 PDT 2015

Am Mon, 21 Sep 2015 23:57:48 +0000
schrieb ponce <contact at gam3sfrommars.fr>:

> Latest version of my game is built with this release:
> http://www.gamesfrommars.fr/vibrant/
>
> I was pleased to see performance enhancements notably in GC
> pauses.

If you actually moved from ldc2 0.15 to 0.16 I wouldn't call
this a shameless self-advertising. ;)

What you really changed:
- target architecture from x86 32-bit to 64-bit
- compiler back-end from DMD to LDC
- switched from D1 to D2

So the better performance is not surprising. Aside from actual
changes to the GC in D2, ldc2 also replaces GC allocations with
stack allocations in some cases, reducing the amount of short
lived garbage, which is the way it's meant to be (tm) and the
larger address range of 64-bit makes false positives (i.e.
ints that look like pointers to GC memory) in the mark phase
unlikely.

--
Marco