make install fails on Fedora

Russel Winder via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 26 01:16:55 PDT 2016

On Debian Sid, the cmake_install.cmake file has a block:

if(NOT CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT OR "${CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT}" STREQUAL "Unspecified")
  list(APPEND CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES
   "/home/users/russel/Built/etc/bash_completion.d/")
  if(CMAKE_WARN_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(WARNING "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION : ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
  if(CMAKE_ERROR_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(FATAL_ERROR "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION forbidden (by caller): ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
file(INSTALL DESTINATION "/home/users/russel/Built/etc/bash_completion.d" TYPE DIRECTORY FILES "/home/Checkouts/Git/LDC/bash_completion.d/")
endif()

which appears to be fine. However on Fedora the path to the bash
completion directory is:

"/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/"

instead of:

"/home/russel/Built/etc/bash_completion.d/"

which is not only wrong, it is also an unreadable and (more
importantly) unwriteable directory. Currently on Fedora I manually
comment out this block so as to be able to run:

make install

Not a huge problem, but very irritating.

I am guessing there is a problem with file template and/or string
interpolation that happens on Fedora but not on Debian.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk