LDC 1.1.0-beta2 has been released!

Kai Nacke via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 3 23:19:11 PDT 2016

Hi Seb!

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 at 00:53:31 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Great news - thanks to everyone from the LDC team for your hard
> work! When I read the announcement I noticed [1] that building
> a release seems like a lot of manual work. I have seen that it
> is already partially automated, but how long does it take you
> to prepare a new release (in the case nothing goes wrong)?
> Ideally building the packages for all platforms would be fully
> automated, so that you can also provide nightlies for the
> common users.

A release is not too much work. On a Unix system it is
- edit the config file
- run the 3 build scripts
- upload the binary package

This process could be better automated but delays have other root
causes:
- Building on ARM takes a long time.
- I currently do not have a development notebook and doing the
builds with sub-optimal resources.
- The last releases always introduced something new (ARM build,
32bit libraries with win64, FreeBSD build) which must be scripted
and tested.
- And you can find new bugs while preparing a release.

But better automation is welcome. :-)

> Travis, Circle etc. provide a environment variable and
> sometimes special settings to distinguish a pull request from a
> active commit, so I assume that won't be a huge issue for you.
> Do you know about a good place to dump such nightlies? As you
> will usually overwrite the latest version space is probably not
> an issue, but traffic costs might (e. g. with S3). I am happy
> to offer one of my VPS servers with unlimited traffic for
> rsyncing and dumping the files to the public, but it comes with
> zero guarantees ;-)

We have a place for it: GitHub.
See http://wiki.dlang.org/Latest_LDC_binaries_for_Windows

Regards,