Bootstrapping build

Russel Winder via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Fri Feb 26 02:55:04 PST 2016

On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 19:36 +0100, David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-
ldc wrote:

[…]

> Doing that wouldn't be difficult in itself. For example, we do
> something
> like the former already for the binary releases where we need to
> find
> the libconfig .so, but can't be sure of the install path:
> https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc-scripts/blob/987fe9d4abccd48fd4
> 5f1c3112b8faf6bfc82aeb/ldc2-packaging/2-build-ldc.sh#L41
> And for the latter, one could just add the appropriate linker flag
> ldc2.conf.

OK, so at least it isn't total "pie in the sky" thinking on my part.

> We should definitely do something like that if/when we ship Linux
> binary
> packages with shared libraries included. However, I'm not so sure
> whether it should be the default. Trying to play cute tricks instead
> of
> relying on the standard way of doing things tends not to end all
> that
> well. And it seems as if we'd need to exclude builds standard
> installation directories even if we did always hard-code the rpath,
> as
> that is for example forbidden in the Fedora packaging guidelines.

I guess this is going to end up being a judgement call based on
cost/benefit.

If 98% of builds do not use CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX then taking a while to
satisfy the 2% could be seen as lacking in sufficient benefit. My gut
reaction though is that if it isn't masses of effort, then covering
this 2% case is likely to have sufficient "it all works out of the box"
positive vibes to be worth it.

I'll see if I can do some research on this over the weekend. No
promises though, it is a Six Nations weekend.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk