Bootstrapping & lts

Kai Nacke via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 28 08:05:06 PST 2016

On Sunday, 28 February 2016 at 13:06:08 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> Having an "lts" branch to bootstrap from is great, but it
> shouldn't be only a moving target. It would be really great if
> there was either
> a) a release/tag of lts corresponding to each release or
> b) lts was in some way packaged with the code (a git submodule,
> or maybe just a folder that's only in releases)
>
> Ideally what I want is to be able to download the source for a
> release, pass "-DAUTO_BOOTSTRAP" to cmake and get a fully
> bootstrapped, repeatable build with no binary downloads and no
> unstable (i.e. git HEAD) dependencies.

Hi Colvin!

ltsmaster is used for further development/bug fixing. For
bootstrapping, the current 0.17.x release should be used.

The bootstrapping process is yet not finally settled. You
describe ideas I already had but I have not yet tried one of them.

We also had the idea to embed the compiler version used to create
LDC into the 'ldc2 -version' output. Again, we still need to
figure out how to do it.

Regards,