CircleCI: LLVM trunk or pre-release

Johan Engelen via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 21 04:14:28 PDT 2016

Brief summary of which LLVM versions our current CI systems use:
- Travis: released LLVM versions on Linux (3.5-3.8) and OS X (3.8)
- CircleCI: Linux LLVM 3.9 (pre-release, APT repo)
- AppVeyor: windows LLVM 3.9 (LLVM is built by ourselves)

There are now two LLVM versions for which binary packages are
only available through the APT repositories: 3.9 and 4.0.

On Travis, we use the binary archives available from llvm.org so
it will be a little annoying to special case the builds for LLVM
3.9 before the actual release happens and packages are available.
On CircleCI we use the APT repo system, so it is easy to pick
LLVM 3.9 and 4.0, but... CircleCI does not support Travis-style
matrix builds natively. Perhaps this can work:
https://github.com/michaelcontento/circleci-matrix

I don't think anybody enjoys working on setting up the CI
systems. The easiest thing to do now is pick either 3.9 or 4.0
for CircleCI, and leave it at that. Adding LLVM 3.9 to Travis is
also pretty easy, but it will add yet another Travis task.

Thoughts?