Bootstrapping build

Marco Leise via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 11 11:17:51 PST 2016

Am Fri, 26 Feb 2016 21:01:24 +0100
schrieb David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc
<digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com>:

> On 26 Feb 2016, at 20:16, Joakim via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
> > Looks like ddmd statically links against druntime/phobos, probably
> > best for ldc with the ddmd frontend to do the same.
>
> That's certainly the thing to do, but I was more wondering about how
> they are shipping a shared druntime/Phobos, i.e. if/how they deal with
> the path issue for client code linked against a shared standard library.
>
>   — David

On Gentoo, I setup -rpath in dmd.conf during installation. It
is necessary anyways if multiple installations of DMD are to
coexist on the same system, because the ABI is not really set
in stone. That way I can painlessly install shared GtkD
libraries for both dmd-2.069 and dmd-2.070 for example.
That dmd.conf also contains flags to link with a shared Phobos2
by default. --gc-sections does not work yet in that setup, but
I have not noticed any other issues. I consider shared
libraries important going forward with the C++ replacement
idea that Dlang started with.

--
Marco