LDC & Visual C++ Build Tools 2015

David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Tue May 17 11:11:47 PDT 2016

Hi Andre,

On 17 May 2016, at 17:38, Andre Pany via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
> is there a how to or wiki page, how to use LDC in combination with
> "Visual C++ Build Tools 2015".

I don't know whether any of the devs using Windows got a chance to test
the Build Tools on a system that doesn't have the full IDE installed,
but in theory it should work just fine. As for building LDC itself,
CMake should automatically detect their presence if I remember
correctly, so everything should work out of the box.

For using them together with a binary LDC release, the question is
whether we detect it correctly in executeMsvcToolAndWait()
(driver/linker.cpp). I assume the build tools also come with a link to
the script that sets up the environment variables for use with the C++
toolchain? Launching LDC from that should definitely work.

It would be great if you could give it a try and share your experiences
on the wiki afterwards (if everything works nicely, it should just be a
short note). As you mentioned, we should really document this well to
make using LDC a seamless experience (and possibly even automatically
download the tools from a to-be-written LDC installer).

Best,
David