Add targets for release binaries? (1.3+)

Adrian Matoga via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 28 01:23:12 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 22 April 2017 at 11:55:39 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 April 2017 at 10:21:05 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
>> Would it make sense to release 1.3 with more targets enabled
>> than the host?
>> X86, ARM, AArch64 ?
>
> I don't really think it makes sense for end users, as we would
> need to ship the respective standard libraries and a way to
> select between cross-compilation targets as well.

Moreover, "ARM" alone doesn't mean anything in this context. The
sheer number of platforms using different ABIs, architecture
versions, library versions and configurations makes it virtually
impossible to even build druntime and Phobos in a way that they
could later be at least linked correctly for all ARM-based
platforms.

That being said, having binary packages that work out-of-the-box
for a few popular targets, such as Raspbian, Android and OS X,
wouldn't be a bad thing.