LTS master CI testing

Joakim via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 5 07:15:21 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 5 August 2017 at 13:03:43 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 August 2017 at 03:06:45 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Why would the OS matter?
>
> Back at 0.17 times, Windows wasn't fully supported. Rainer's
> final EH fixes require at least LLVM 3.8 IIRC and probably
> haven't been ported back. So it's barely usable, and even if
> the CI build problems are resolved, many tests will fail.

I see, I didn't realize all the Windows fixes for ldc were after
that release.

>> For example, if someone picks up the new Windows on ARM
>> laptops, coming out in a couple months, they could easily
>> build ltsmaster ldc for it, though the stdlib might require
>> some tweaking.
>
> I thought Windows on ARM was dead, but apparently they're
> trying it again, this time with a full x86 emulation layer:
>
> "Windows 10 on ARM is completely different. This is the full
> Windows desktop experience. Microsoft has created a special
> emulator layer that allows traditional 32-bit desktop
> applications to run on ARM processors, so everything should
> “just work”." [1]
>
> If that really works, there's no bootstrapping issue and people
> can simply install a 32-bit x86 Windows package as host
> compiler.
>
> [1]:
> https://www.howtogeek.com/309119/what-is-windows-10-on-arm-and-how-is-it-different-from-windows-rt/

You're right, this would allow simply running the regular ldc
cross-compiler.  Although, Intel has published a blog post
threatening lawsuits over x86 patents, which is generally
interpreted to be directed at this Microsoft/ARM effort, so it's
possible they may remove it in the final release:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/06/intel-fires-warning-shots-at-microsoft-claims-x86-emulation-is-a-patent-minefield/