Include D standard library source with packaged releases?

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Wed Dec 27 13:21:40 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 01:11:03 UTC, Jon Degenhardt
wrote:
> I'm wondering if LDC packaged releases should include source
> for D standard libraries (druntime, phobos). This would enable
> the ldc-build-runtime tool to operate without downloading the
> library source for the release as a separate step.

Hey Jon, the main reasons are:

- The runtime libraries also include profile-rt and jit-rt, which
are part of the main LDC repo.
- The essential runtimes CMake script is part of the main LDC
repo since it covers all runtime libraries.

An LDC distribution comes with _nearly_ all of the
druntime/Phobos source already (the imports) - druntime's `rt`
directory is missing for example (not meant to be imported from
user code, but compiled-in).

So adding more source files just to please alternative packaging
systems is not really something I'd be fond of.