Auto-bootstrapping builds of LDC with DDMD frontend

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 29 10:32:28 PST 2017

Hello all,

This question relates to my experience snap-packaging LDC (the
current package is still pending review in the Ubuntu store, BTW).

Since building more recent LDC releases requires a working D
compiler, the snap package includes `ldc` as a build dependency
(which means in practice, the snapcraft build process installs
the ldc deb package included in the standard Ubuntu
repositories).  However, it would definitely be nicer not to have
to rely on this being available.

Past threads on the subject describe how to bootstrap manually:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.1044.1471415063.3131.digitalmars-d-ldc@puremagic.com

... but I'm unaware of any auto-bootstrap option akin to dmd's
`AUTO_BOOTSTRAP=1` make option.

Is there anything currently available or in the works for
auto-bootstrapping?

Thanks & best wishes,

     -- Joe