Auto-bootstrapping builds of LDC with DDMD frontend

Matthias Klumpp via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 31 09:39:09 PST 2017

On Monday, 30 January 2017 at 21:06:44 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Monday, 30 January 2017 at 18:32:35 UTC, Matthias Klumpp
> wrote:
>> Auto-bootstrapping would help us a lot in Debian too -
>> bootstrapping is a bit annoying at time.
>
> Why do you need to bootstrap, though – can't you just have a
> build-time dependency on a D compiler?

We need to have one in the first place ^^ - if GDC could compile
LDC, we could solve the issue that way.
Right now, we upload a new version of LDC, let it fail build or
not-build, then Markos logs into a porterbox, bootstraps the
current LDC there, rebuilds it with itself and uploads the
resulting binaries to the archive. So, LDC can depend on itself
then.

This works, until one LDC release fails to compile the other
properly, then the bootstrap process starts again.

Btw, we have a request for an arm64 LDC package, but so far
bootstrapping on that platform was unsuccessful.