Calling D from Ruby for GPU computing

Prasun Anand via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 25 22:56:45 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 at 01:14:56 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 July 2017 at 20:19:17 UTC, Prasun Anand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wrote a Linear Mixed Model tool for Genome Wide Association
>> Studies(GWAS) called
>> [faster_lmm_d](https://github.com/prasunanand/faster_lmm_d).
>> It is built on LDC
>> and is faster than its Python alternative. Also, its the only
>> GWAS tool with a GPU
>> backend.
>>
>> I am interested in porting ` faster_lmm_d` to Ruby. Though, it
>> is still a work in progress, I have written a blog about my
>> findings.
>>
>> Blog:
>> http://www.prasunanand.com/gpu-computing/2017/07/25/gsoc17-calling-d-from-ruby-for-gpu-computing.html
>>
>> I would love to hear your feedback.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Prasun
>
> Pretty cool, any reason you didn't post this in announce
> instead?
>
> I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on ArrayFire as I'm
> looking for Ideas (not to mention feedback and projects!) for
> DCompute.

Thanks Nicholas! I think ArrayFire is a great library and very
promising. The abstractions it provides makes it very easy for
GPU computing and in my opinion,
these abstractions make the programmer too lazy to look under the
hood and aim for better optimizations.

ArrayFire being able to support CPU, OpenCL and CUDA all together
is what makes it super awesome.

I would be working on optimizations for CUDA backend of
faster-lmm-d in near future, and I would be using dcompute a lot,
to write the kernels in D.

I posted this on LDC group as I would also like to pose a
question to LDC community regarding

**How do I bind D as a shared lib for ldc ? **

I am unable to find any good documentation regarding this.

Regards,
Prasun