DMD, LDC, and GDC compilers and 32/64 bit

Russel Winder via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 19 01:29:13 PDT 2017

On Sun, 2017-06-18 at 18:42 +0100, David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-
ldc wrote:

[…]
> Both -m32 and -m64 are available on any host with LDC. However,
> usually
> you wouldn't find 64 bit standard libraries with a 32 bit build –
> not
> because of any technical reason, but just because multilib setups in
> that direction are far less useful/common.

Hummm… I forgot that aspect. Now I'm feeling a bit stupid. :-)

That though gives me good direction for the ldc tool, thanks.

> > Is there a way to determine the bitsize of the compiler executable,
> > in
> > the test it is assumed that if the OS is 32-bit then so are the D
> > compilers.
>
> It seems both simpler and more accurate to just test whether "$DMD
> -m64
> -main empty.d" (with an empty source file) succeeds.

That is exactly the test that was there but was commented out due to it
failing on the Buildbot CI client network. My problem is knowing
whether it should fail or should pass on the platform being used.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk