Linux -> Windows crosscompiler

Marvin Gülker via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Mon May 15 02:27:36 PDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I am mainly a Linux developer and find working on Windows rather
complicated. My most recent try confirmed that; I wanted to write a D
application using GraphicsMagick's C interface -- now I have a mixture
of compilers on my Windows machine (MinGW GCC, Msys2 GCC, MSVC, LDC,
DMD) and I still get linking errors.

That only for the context. Since I previously had good experience in
using a Linux -> Windows crosscompiler for regular C/C++ (MXE[1]) I thought
it could be possible to have something similar for D. Until now I have
been using dmd, but Internet research told me dmd cannot be built as a
crosscompiler. GDC appears to be a one-man show and is still pending
upstream GCC approval, so I decided to go with LDC.

Thus, is it possible to build an LDC crosscompiler that is hosted on
x86_64 Linux and targets i686/x86_64 Windows? If so, how? I didn't find
any information on the topic, people appeareantly only ever want to
target ARM (cell phones?), which is not what I am interested in.

Greetings
Marvin

[1]: http://mxe.cc

--