Linux -> Windows crosscompiler

Marvin Gülker via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Tue May 16 01:25:46 PDT 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 07:49:53AM +0000, kinke via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I meant by whether you are fine with the toolchain.

Heh. After running MSVC Setup's "Repair" program (which, again, took an
hour or so) Visual Studio now starts. And then closes with the message
"Your evaluation time span has expired" (although I never even used
it). I don't think I'm going to feel familiar with MSVC at any point in
time. What a crude world Windows is.

> clang does an excellent job at compiling gcc-style code (incl. pragmas
> and special attributes) for MSVC; I used it a few years back to
> compile parts of the MinGW C runtime itself. Just saying that it would
> be possible. ;)

Yeah, I know, it's possible :-). It's just a question of how much time I
want to investigate. But honestly, for this one programme I want to run
on Windows, it will take less time if I write it in C/C++ and
crosscompile it with MXE (or compile it natively with MSYS2), even if D
is a nicer language. If I find fun in developing on LDC, that's
something different, but as only an intermediate goal I'm not willing to
investigate that much.

Greetings
Marvin

--