Linux -> Windows crosscompiler

Joakim via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Tue May 16 06:48:15 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 16 May 2017 at 08:49:36 UTC, Marvin Gülker wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:06:10AM +0000, Joakim via
> digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
>> How fast is your connection now?  I've been using two
>> connections between 2-8 Mbps until recently, so even 16 Mbps
>> seems fast to me. :)
>
> That's indeed fairly slow; the >5 GiB download of MSVC would
> take very long on that connection. I'm on 100 MBit/s now (at
> least they say...). With such downloads I'm quite happy about
> that now.

I'm on a faster connection now, 15-20 Mbps or so, but that's only
since six months ago.

>> > I have concluded from that that D+C on Windows doesn't work
>> > for me, mostly because MSVC doesn't.
>>
>> Sounds like it is the C that is the problem. ;)
>
> Yep. GraphicsMagick wants to be built via a VisualStudio SLN
> file, and
> appearently doesn't work with Visual Studio 2017, because
> Microsoft
> changed some default values on the linker. Visual Studio 2015
> has
> decided to not let me use it (see my other reply), so all I can
> do now
> is compile it with MinGW/MSYS2's GCC (which worked out of the
> box). However, that one in turn does not include
> GraphicsMagick's
> dependencies; copying them out of the MinGW system was possible
> (renaming the .a files to .lib), but linking in things like
> libgomp
> fails again (I would have been surprised if linking in GCC
> internals
> with the MSVC linker worked anyway). Then, one shouldn't have
> to copy
> around these files and rename them anyway; it's hackish. In
> total, I
> have invested nearly three days into the issue now, and as much
> as I
> like the D language, I am coming to a point where I conclude
> that it's
> simply not worth further pursueing that. Just doing C/C++ is
> easier.

Again, mostly C that's the issue.  Of course, ldc not officially
supporting MingGW anymore affects the particular C library you're
trying to use.

>> An alternative to Visual
>> Studio is to download a Windows SDK that included the compiler
>> and linker,
>> like the Windows 7.1 SDK that I used years ago:
>>
>> http://forum.dlang.org/post/hvdyyutbgehlefluvsup@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> I don't know if they still include the compiler/linker in
>> later versions of the Windows SDK, maybe one of the newer ones
>> would work too.
>
> That certainly is an interesting suggestion, but since
> GraphicsMagick insists on using an SLN file when compiling for
> MSVC, I don't see how I could work around installing a
> full-blown Visual Studio. Once upon a time, there was an nmake
> programme that was used for easy commandline compilation of
> MSVC projects, but it appears to have become unpopular
> (although it is still included in Visual Studio I saw).

I think it's included with the Windows SDK I used too, but I
guess that won't help you with the SLN either.