I give up! Android and ldc

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Wed Nov 22 16:41:18 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 08:44:24 UTC, Gheorghe Gabriel
wrote:
> On Monday, 20 November 2017 at 03:13:29 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Sunday, 19 November 2017 at 23:10:23 UTC, Indigo wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> How far did you get?
>>
>> Rather than have a batch file, we have a small D binary tool,
>> ldc-build-runtime, which invokes ldc for you:
>>
>> [...]
>
> If I had had the necessary knowledge, I would have surely
> contributed to LLVM D Compiler.

I'm not sure what you mean, you also find it too hard to follow
the wiki instructions and build for Android?  Or simply that
you'd like to contribute to ldc development but don't know how?
If the latter, how would you like to help make ldc better, mobile
support, GPU compute, ie which ldc feature are you interested in
furthering?

Depending on the complexity of the topic that interests you and
your level of knowledge, it may not be that difficult to
contribute.  There are low-level jobs listed on github, that
would be a good starter for someone coming in:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A"good+first+issue"

Also, let me note that before I started working on the Android
port of ldc, I had never written a line of code for Android and
had never looked at the ARM instruction set.  However, I had
knowledge of related fundamentals, like taking an in-depth x86
assembly programming class back in college or porting an OSS C++
project like Chromium, so I was able to pick up most of what I
needed.  Maybe you can do the same.