Would changing the ldc version numbering to match dmd affect you?

Mr.Bingo Bingo at Namo.com
Fri Jun 29 08:33:36 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 2 June 2018 at 11:16:47 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> There is a pull under consideration to change ldc's version
> number to match dmd's 2.08x numbering, with a different ldc
> patch version to keep some flexibility, ie ldc 2.080.0 would be
> released with the dmd 2.080.1 frontend instead of the recent
> numbering of ldc 1.9.0 with the dmd 2.079.1 frontend:
>
> https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/2673
>
> If you package ldc for some package repository, as I do with
> the Termux package repository for Android, please chime in if
> this version numbering jump might cause a problem for you,
> either here or on the pull.
>
> If you're a user who might be affected by this, your input is
> welcome too, please chime in here.

If you are going to do this then you need to make the versions
identical! Don't have them off on some minor version.

If someone see's ldc 2.080.0 then they are going to naturally
think it goes with dmd 2.080.0, not some other version.

If you need minor versions of that then extend it to ldc
2.080.0.32 or 2.080.0:32

This way there is always a direct and natural consistency between
ldc and dmd. If you are going to make the versions correlate
there is really no reason not to make them identical... it
simplifies everything.

Basically whatever version of dmd ldc is compiled for is the
version of that ldc.