What is __start___minfo?

Elronnd elronnd at elronnd.net
Wed Mar 14 06:32:43 UTC 2018

I'm trying to get programs run under ldc to run under lli.  It
would always give me a message about missing __start___minfo,
even when I told it to load shared libs.  I thought that might
change with 1.8 giving the option to always link shared versions
of phobos/druntime, but the same error pops up:

$ lli --load=/usr/lib/libphobos2-ldc-shared.so.78
--load=/usr/lib/libdruntime-ldc-shared.so.78 test2.bc
LLVM ERROR: Program used external function '__start___minfo'
which could not be resolved!

 From
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/blob/master/gen/modules.cpp#L379, it appears to be used for metadata of modules?  Not sure why it wouldn't end up in bitcode or why it wouldn't be accessible, but how can I get it?

I don't think that it's in an object file getting linked in
because the linker command line is:

/usr/bin/gcc test2.o -o test2 -Xlinker --no-warn-search-mismatch
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/clang/5.0.1/lib/linux/ -lphobos2-ldc-shared
-ldruntime-ldc-shared -Wl,--gc-sections -lrt -ldl -lpthread -lm
-m64

Which doesn't seem to have anything in (beyond phobos/drt, which
I'm already loading with lli) that would contain a
__start___minfo.