SPIR-V discussion during LLVM dev meeting

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 30 05:44:45 UTC 2018

On Monday, 29 October 2018 at 22:28:38 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Nicholas joined the LLVM dev meeting recently. There's been a
> discussion on SPIR-V, so for anyone following those
> developments, read this:
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2018-October/059974.html
>
> Cheers,
>   Johan

The consensus was that it would be better to continue as an
external project for the time being, but aim for better
integration with LLVM (including getting some triples that we can
work with) in the future.

I'm OK with this because they now merge LLVM trunk in regularly
and have CI processes set up (gasp! ;) ). I will at some point
soon (after I get over jet lag and a cold) change LDC to work
with that and discontinue my backend.

The downside of going to the conference is that I now have too
many things that would be cool to add to LDC: e.g
https://github.com/wsmoses/Tapir-LLVM for OpenMP and other tech,
on top of Microsoft's DXIL LLVM fork. Still it'll keep me busy.

Nic