Linux LTO with lld from llvm 9

Newbie2019 newbie2019 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 08:44:32 UTC 2019

On Friday, 4 October 2019 at 09:54:44 UTC, kinke wrote:
> The problem here is that the produced bitcode is v9, but the
> gold plugin is from LLVM v8.0.1. LDC v1.18.0-beta2 features the
> v9 gold plugin; it'll probably also work when updating your
> clang to v9.

Thanks for the explain.  I add `-gcc=clang -linker=lld
--plugin=/opt/build/llvm/build/lib/libLTO.so
--flto-binary=/opt/build/llvm/build/lib/libLTO.so` to ldc,  but
ldc2 not pass libLTO.so into clang,  and the ld.lld still run
with  `-plugin /usr/bin/../lib/LLVMgold.so`.  how could I use the
new builded libLTO.so instead LLVMgold.so ?

On Friday, 4 October 2019 at 14:50:26 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Seems like you are trying to use LTO with LDC built against
> LLVM 9.0, but the linker plugin (probably from clang) is built
> against LLVM 8.0? The plugin [1] is separate from the linker
> itself.
>
> ld.gold should generally work fine. Perhaps others can chime in
> as to what the current situation with LLD on Linux is; I
> haven't tried it recently.

Thanks for the explain.