Version identifiers for iOS and Apple platforms

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Mon Feb 24 19:37:14 UTC 2020

On Monday, 24 February 2020 at 18:39:21 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2020-02-23 20:36, kinke wrote:
>
>> I hope there's no need for extra simulator versions; if
>> there's need for special-casing, I hope the arch version can
>> be re-used.
>
> You mean to use `iOS` and `x86_64` to identify the simulator? I
> don't think that will be sufficient. There's also the Catalyst
> platform (or what to call it). It's iPad apps compiled for
> macOS. I haven't looked in to this platform yet but I would
> assume it would have both `iOS` and `x86_64` defined.

I assumed druntime etc. don't need to know whether the program
runs in a x86 simulator or natively, and in case they do in 1-2
places, that the arch can be used to differentiate. E.g., on
Android we apparently don't need any simulator versions (e.g.,
even the x86[_64] `long double` format corresponds to the
AArch{32,64} one - double or quad precision). But hey, I have no
idea about and interest in Apple stuff.