Reducing build times of ldc-build-runtime

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Mar 17 20:09:54 UTC 2020

I'm working on the CI setup for iOS using Bitrise [1]. I'm currently
hitting the 45 min build time limit. It takes around 11 minutes for
building LDC itself and then running `ldc-build-runtime` times out, so
I'm guessing it takes more than 34 minutes. The last completed object
file is at the progress: 847/896, so it's almost complete.

Is there a way to reduce the build times? It looks like it compiles all
files separately. Is it possible to compile multiple files at once?
Perhaps that could reduce the build times. It also seems that there are
four versions built: regular, debug, unittest and unittest-debug. Are
all necessary? Can we avoid building some version(s)? Perhaps skip
unittest and only build unittest-debug?

Since this is done using cross-compiling it might be possible to build
the binaries on a different CI service and then trigger a build on
Bitrise using their API to run the actual tests. But that would make it
more complicated.

[1] https://bitrise.io

--
/Jacob Carlborg