Reducing build times of ldc-build-runtime

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Mar 19 18:25:33 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-19 11:22, Petar Kirov [ZombineDev] wrote:

> A bit off-topic, but how does it compare to other services like Azure
> Pipelines, GitHub Actions, BuildKite, etc. that support self-hosted
> runners? (Also the first two have free macOS runners and Windows
> runners.) From a quick look through the page they indeed offer many
> features tailored to mobile dev,

The only reason I picked Bitrise is because it's the only CI service,
that I could find at least, that offers testing on physical devices for
free.

> but at least for work, I wouldn't
> choose a CI solution that doesn't offer support for self-hosting runners.

In this case I would say it's an advantage to not have to deal with
self-hosting runners. It's a PITA to automate testing on physical
devices. For example, I have no idea how the CI service (if they do)
reset the devices after a test.

The only way I've been able to get an app on an device (without having
to upload it somewhere) is through Xcode. The only way I've been able to
run something on the device using the command line (which is required
for automation) is to create an XCTest test (the testing framework used
by Xcode). It's extremely unfriendly if you're not following the exact
workflows that Apple have designed. Apple have proprietary protocols and
private frameworks to deploy something to a device.

--
/Jacob Carlborg