LDC to GDC, DMD merge

kinke noone at nowhere.com
Tue May 25 11:53:53 UTC 2021

On Monday, 24 May 2021 at 21:31:19 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> How does it work when doing changes to anything in LDC
> (compiler, library), the change is generic and you want it to
> be merged. Will this be merged to the repos of GDC and DMD, or
> if you want to do a generic change, do you have to use the DMD
> repo?

One uses the most generic repo, i.e., upstream DMD, and has to
wait for the change to trickle down to LDC and GDC (or, if it's
super-important, open a PR with backported fix).

> Another question, do we need LDC to have own repos for the
> compiler and library. Would it possible to use the DMD
> submodules and then have the LDC extras in an specific LDC
> submodule?

We don't just have some extra files but touch upstream files in
all of these repos. We only use parts of the DMD repo; the
frontend is a direct part of the ldc repo (`dmd` subdir), while
DMD's `test` dir is the base for our dmd-testsuite repo/submodule.