[ot] D and graphics on Linux

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Thu Apr 13 07:33:06 PDT 2006

John Demme wrote:

> Georg Wrede wrote:
>
>> Slightly off-topic, but:
>>
>> I may be in a position to make the first Processing Plant Production
>> Line Control Software in D. To my knowledge, at least. :-)
>>
>> That would include, among other things, a display of some of the vital
>> parameters of the process as real-time graphs. (Temperatures, wattages,
>> production speed, etc.)
>>
>> The choice of language and operating system is mine, and being a D
>> bigot, I really would like to do the stuff in D. And Windows is excluded
>> because the plant can't afford an unstable OS for 24/7 operation. Since
>> D is (more or less) a Win/Lin language, it'll be Linux.
>>

>> Now, being a pay-project, I need to find a productive choice of
>> libraries and tools to maximise Productivity. (Specified as man-hours to
>> delivery.)
>>
>> The graphs will be on X (as opposed to Linux console graphics), so that
>> they can be viewed off-shopfloor too.
>>
>> Does anybody have experience on this kind of stuff?
>
> There's Ant's D OO frontend for GTK, but I've found it to be pretty
> incomplete.

Well it's been through a makeover, and I'm finding it quite complete now,
although it hasn't been through much testing yet to be totally sure that
everything works as it should. Ant is fairly responsive whenever somebody
reports an issue though. Of course, I'm currently using it, so I say the
more, the merrier :) Whether it's the most productive solution is another
question, if you know gtk, it should be quite easy to find the D'ified
solution.