How to return GC-d memory back to OS

Serg Kovrov kovrov at no.spam
Thu Aug 3 08:29:43 PDT 2006

Is it possible to make GC to free memory back to OS?

I'm asking because I'm writing a news feed notifier/reader, and my goal
for the application is to be as much memory efficient as possible, as I
intent to run it on my desktop 24/7.

In other words, I want my application to free any resources back to OS
as soon as they no longer used. eg., it fetch a big document, process it
store for later usage on disk cache, set a flag that new document
available - then free all resources used for that task back to OS.
Whatever peak memory usage will be, I want my application in idle state
to have as small memory footprint as possible.

The 'high watermark' (if thats the name) approach in GC is not way to go
in my case =(

There is not much info on GC on digitalmars site, so maybe someone know
a workaround for my situation?

Thanks
--
serg.