std.stream question

chojin someone at somewhere.com
Fri Aug 4 01:49:53 PDT 2006

Eck. I am about to pull my hair out. I've been using D for 3 days now and
can't even get text input on the console going. The first 2 were tied up
trying to find a usable decent IDE solution.... others ironing out senseless
bugs with no documentation... and I have a computer science degree! Anyway I
feel like I could have a big rant but I'll get to the point.

I can compile most things just fine, but due to lack of finding decent
documentation for scanf I switched over to streams, which seem MUCH nicer...
but whenever I try to use them I get errors.

Currently trying to use streams using this sample code I got from dsource:

import std.stream;
import std.string;

int main()
{
    char[] input;
    char[] output;

    // Ask for a string
    std.stream.stdout.writeLine("Converts a lowercase string to
uppercase.");
    std.stream.stdout.writeLine("Please enter a string:");
    input = std.stream.stdin.readLine();

    // Convert to upper and print it
    output = input.toupper();
    std.stream.stdout.writeLine(output);

    return 0;
}

And consistently, when using build.exe or dmake or dmd or whatever, I
recieve this output:

dmd.exe
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d -debug -g -c -unittest
-w -version=OLE_COM

C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): undefined
identifier module stream.stdout
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): undefined
identifier module stream.stdout
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): no property
'writeLine' for type 'void'
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(10): function expected
before (), not 1 of type int
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(11): undefined
identifier module stream.stdout
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(11): undefined
identifier module stream.stdout
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(11): no property
'writeLine' for type 'void'
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(11): function expected
before (), not 1 of type int
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(12): undefined
identifier module stream.stdin
C:\Homes\Administrator\Desktop\D\tester\stringtest.d(12): undefined
identifier module stream.stdin

Any ideas? I am using the latest dmd.exe and dmc linker tools, etc. I am
stumped...

regards,
Rob