C struct (with bitfields) to D and back

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 22:38:01 PDT 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Serg Kovrov" <kovrov at no.spam> wrote in message
> news:eb5rcb$2nh$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>
>> Thanks for reply, Jarrett, I hope it is.
>>
>> I actually can't test it right now as Uniscribe is quite complicated
>> subject, and I just started investigating it... As/if I get some results,
>> I'll post it (and perhaps bindings to the API) here.
>
> I worked up a simple example with some oddly-sized bitfields, and it does
> seem to work - I can link to the original C library using the htod'ed D
> module, and it can read the struct bitfields that D produces.  This is using
> DMC though, so it might not be compatible with other compilers.  Hopefully
> other compilers order bitfields the same way DMC does.

It would be nice if the C standard specified ordering for bitfields, but
it's one of the many items left up to the compiler. That's why any
solution you use in D to implement them has the potential to break when
interacting with C output from different compilers. I'm not sure what
the reality is, though.