What scripting language should I use

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Thu Dec 14 17:07:54 PST 2006

I've decided to create my next big game in D. It will be a rpg using D
in the lower level stuff and an integrated scripting language for the
game logic. Now, the only thing I'm not sure about is the scripting
language. It needs to be object oriented / functional and somewhat
portable (linux & windows).

I've searched the dsource site. There is already more or less complete
support for
 - python (pyd)
 - ecmascript (dmdscript, walnut)
 - minid
 - lua (bindings lualib, dlua)
 - squirrel (bindings)
 - euphoria (freudo)
 - lisp (dlisp)

Maybe there are other production ready implementations not listed here?

It seems the pyd, minid and dmdscript projects are well maintained.

The best option would be to fully integrate the scripting engine to my
game. Using it via the C ABI should be ok, but requires a bit extra work.

Which one should I take. I don't want to end up using vaporware. The
miniD projects looks interesting. I know dmdscript works, but I think
those other languages might be better suited for my game.