What scripting language should I use

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Fri Dec 15 05:21:46 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
>> Which one should I take. I don't want to end up using vaporware. The
>> miniD projects looks interesting. I know dmdscript works, but I think
>> those other languages might be better suited for my game.
>

> If you don't have any sort of a low-memory requirement, then I'd say go
> with Python.  Kirk seems to be cranking away quite diligently at PyD,
> and D templates just keep getting better and better allowing PyD to do
> more stuff.  It looks to be in a virtuous cycle to me.
>
> Python also has tons of libraries available for it, though I'm not sure
> that will make much difference in the game context, where pretty much
> everything you need will be specific to your game.  But for instance a
> quick search turned up an implementation of the ever-popular A* path
> planning algo:
>     http://www.pygame.org/projects/9/195/

I've already implemented A* in D :). I'm going to do much of the
cpu/memory-intensive stuff in native code so that the scripting engine
does not form a bottleneck there. Have to benchmark those languages a
bit more, though.

I guess it's just a matter of taste, which language should I pick. The
hardware requirements aren't crucial. Much of the game logic will be AI
and decision making logic, and I'm going to study it myself along the
way. So no need for existing libraries. High level language constructs
are more important.

I'll take a closer look at miniD and Lua. Unfortunately it seems that
Pyd is out of the count for now.