is real an 80-bit type or not?

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Mon Dec 18 16:03:45 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "Don Clugston" <dac at nospam.com.au> wrote in message
>> news:em43j6$7tl$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>> It is a bit weird that D has 'cent' and 'ucent' as reserved words,
>>> but not 'quadruple'.
>>
>> I'd hope it'd be just "quad" :S  "quadruple" is a little lengthy.
>
> That could be trouble for 3D apps where 'quad' is commonly used as an
> abbreviation for 'quadrilateral'.  As in glBegin(GL_QUADS).
>
> That said, I'm sure we could all cope.
>
> --bb

My personal preference would be for the type names to explicitly contain
their size:

int8, uint8, int16, uint16, int32, uint32, int64, uint64
float32, ifloat32, float64, ifloat64, float80, ifloat80

It's completely clear. No one will ever misunderstand the type sizes.
And the introduction of more-precise math operations will automatically
imply new names for the new types.

--benji