Test for element in array

Ivan Senji ivan.senji_REMOVE_ at _THIS__gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 01:33:09 PDT 2006

BCS wrote:
> Andrei Khropov wrote:
>> Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Someone can suggest me the best way for testing the presence of an
>>> element in
>>> an array?
>>>
>>> Coming from python, something like...
>>>
>>> if( x in array_of_x && y in array_of_y ){
>>> }
>>>
>>> The workaround, apart from using a simple 'for' loop, is to use an
>>> associative array, and test for key...
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Paolo
>>

>> Despite BCS proposed a cool solution
>
> thanks
>
>> I think 'in' should be built-in for usual (non-associative) arrays
>> too. why not?
>>

> the semantics are backwards, not a killer but its a little inconsistent.

Yeah, some think it is some think it isn't, I think it isn't but it is
an old discussion and probably one we will never agree on.

IMO:
normal arrays store *values* which are indexed by a key (index)
associative arrays store *keys* and the value is just an additional
information about the key.

That is only my opinion as some people think that AA's also are about
values.