String Basics

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 05:39:30 PDT 2006

Heinz wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks guys for your answers. I know it is a basic stuff, i used to work with
> char[] in lower level languages but now i was used to the string type in managed
> languages.
>
> I'll use an alias for now but hope Walter to add a string type in phobos.

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/builtin.html

"But after all, what is a string if not an array of characters? If the
builtin array problems are fixed, doesn't that resolve the string
problems as well? It does. It seems odd at first that D doesn't have a
string class, but since manipulating strings is nothing more than
manipulating arrays of characters, if arrays work, there's nothing a
class adds to it."

Stewart.