Dsource forum question

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Tue Jun 27 11:15:05 PDT 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "BCS" <BCS at pathlink.com> wrote in message
> news:e7rnem$2a12$2 at digitaldaemon.com...
>
>>Is there any way to access the Dsource forum with Thunderbird or another
>>such client? I couldn't find any indication that phpBB can do this by its
>>self, but a search for phpBB+nntp turned up indications it is possible:
>

> I think the question is: why would you want to?  Internet forums came about
> as an alternative to (ancient, poorly-featured) newsgroups..

Because I hate crawling through web pages. About 90% of the data on the
wire is otherwise unneeded formatting, I can't re-brows stuff without
re-downloading it. Thunderbird on the other hand stores most of the data
locally, downloads little or no extraneous formatting, and even can pop
up a notification when new stuff shows up.

*I* think the question is: why would anyone /want/ to use the Internet
forum?  It is now (IMO) the anachronistic, poorly-featured paradigm.

If the Dsource forum was accessible as a newsgroup I would read it with
great interest. As the only access seems to be by way of an internet
forum, I probably won't even bother.