Dsource forum question

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Tue Jun 27 13:26:30 PDT 2006

kris wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>
>>> "BCS" <BCS at pathlink.com> wrote in message
>>> news:e7rnem$2a12$2 at digitaldaemon.com...

>>> I think the question is: why would you want to?  Internet forums came
>>> about as an alternative to (ancient, poorly-featured) newsgroups..
>>>

>> Because I hate crawling through web pages. About 90% of the data on
>> the wire is otherwise unneeded formatting, I can't re-brows stuff
>> without re-downloading it. Thunderbird on the other hand stores most
>> of the data locally, downloads little or no extraneous formatting, and
>> even can pop up a notification when new stuff shows up.
>>
>> *I* think the question is: why would anyone /want/ to use the Internet
>> forum?  It is now (IMO) the anachronistic, poorly-featured paradigm.
>>
>> If the Dsource forum was accessible as a newsgroup I would read it
>> with great interest. As the only access seems to be by way of an
>> internet forum, I probably won't even bother.
>
> How about requesting an RSS feed?

For version / revision announcements yes, but how would it work with
interactive threaded discussion? BTW, Trac even supports RSS to some extend.

I think providing support for NG clients would decrease the amount of
server bandwidth usage and make the site much faster. Yes, it's now
faster than it used to be, but still could be made a bit faster. It's
pretty soon slow again, when D gets more popularity.

Besides most web browser on Linux suck like a Hoover. :( Only Opera and
links are "usable" on my XP 2400+ box. It also seems to be the case that
most of the active D users are able to use the ultra modern newsgroup
technology even w/o the web interface. ;)