Walter - clarification required re attributes

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Wed Jun 28 11:26:03 PDT 2006

In article <e7sref$tgg$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Boris Wang says...

>Maybe, Walter find a good begin, but has no ability to reach the end.
>Maybe,what we want is a d like language controled by myself, the programer.

Walter has the ability, maybe just not the time...

This type of thing ("community development of the language and compiler") has
been discussed before quite a bit and I think we, as D programmers, are getting
the best of all worlds. A BDFL (Benevalent Dictator for Life) in Walter who has
implemented world-class compilers before, knows a lot about language design and
who is also doing the majority of the work, _while_ we still get some say in the
design and implementation of the language, compiler and libraries.

Generally, if you come up with a really good idea that fits in w/ D semantics
and goals and has some community support, Walter may at least consider
implementing it, time permitting.

We all have our pet issues with the language design, but I think the whole is
more than the sum of the parts as-is right now.

There's only so much you can fit into one language v1.0 spec. after all <g>

I think the best thing we as D users could do right now is find bugs in the
compiler and/or where the spec. doesn't match the implementation and report
them.

It looks like that's what Derek had in mind.