Irritating shortcoming with modules and externs

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 17:59:56 PDT 2006

"Bruno Medeiros" <brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com> wrote in message
news:e4ngb0$24g4$1 at digitaldaemon.com...

> I do something very similar:
>
>   int main(char[][] args)
>   {
>     // .. proccess args..
>     // ..maybe load some libs (like Derelict)..
>     App.appmain();
>     return 0;
>   }
>
> However, in my case, App is a module. If you only have one Context, and it
> is allways active during the program lifetime, why bother creating a
> singleton instead of simply using a module?

At least in my case, the nice thing about having a context class is that I
can derive from it.  I can create some other predefined contexts (i.e. which
set some things up for you automatically, or which are designed for a
specific type of program in mind), and by giving them some abstract methods
meant to be overriden, I can create "framework" contexts which are
ready-to-use and which can just be derived and have the extra parts filled
in.  That, and a compiler error (an "unimplemented abstract method" error)
is nicer than a linker error saying that it can't find an undefined, mangled
symbol.