English binary logic operators

David Qualls davidlqualls at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 15:09:44 PST 2006

I just compiled my first D function (adapted from C), and had to
replace all my 'and' 'or' and 'not's with the arcane &&, ||, and !
from prehistoric C to get it to compile.

iso646.h has been a part of C for several years.  Perl, C++ and
possibly other languages have all adopted 'and', 'or', and 'not'
as part of their grammar.

I write software that will be maintained by non-programmers
(mathematicians, who would prefer that I use Fortran).  Lots of
funny symbols in source code (like && || !) make it difficult to
read for the non-immersed (ah, who am I kidding, I even have
trouble reading it now and then).

Is there any future to D incluing the logical operators in
English, as opposed to &!|%'ish?  (I didn't mention it, but 'mod'
might also be a good (easy for non-programmers to understand)
substitute for '%'.)

David