English binary logic operators

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 20:52:21 PST 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>
>> "Bill Baxter" <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ej2gij$ohu$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>> I remember when I was first learning Japanese, it occurred to me
>>> "Whoa! now I'll never run out of single-character variable names when
>>> doing math equations!"
>>>
>>> For some reason it didn't actually prove to be that useful, though.
>>> Even the Japanese don't use Japanese symbols in their math for some
>>> reason, just Roman and Greek letters like everyone else.  Every once
>>> in a while I'll use an ??? to represent some big sub-expression that
>>> doesn't have much meaning but keeps on re-appearing in derivations.
>>> But that's about it.
>>

>> Having taken a few semesters of Japanese, I've noticed I've started to
>> use some kanji in my notes as shorthand :S
>>

> Kanji as shorthand? I don't know, I find myself slower when writing
> kanji (maybe because I'm still a n@@b in that area), but I can write
> "nihon" faster than I can write 日本, for instance. (I wonder, can utf-8
> encode that?)

Some are simple, like
person,big,small,sun,moon,water,fire,tree,mountain,mother,father...
人 大 小 日 月 水 火 木 山 母 父
And they don't take up much space in your notes, no matter how complex
they are. :-)

Anyway, just to bring this slightly back on topic :), since D is utf-8
compatible, I suggest we should allow the use full-width unicode 'and'
and 'or' symbols.  :-)

Mmmm Unicode.  That opens up a whole slew of possibilities.
How about opDoubleIntegration?  No problem!
      ∬f(x)dx;
Oooh and we could allow this as a synonym for delete myVar:

      ☠ myVar;

That would surely push D over the top.  Does your language have the
skull-and-crossbones operator?  I thought not.
;-)

--bb